CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 24, 2010

Adventures in Cross-Training, aka What Hell Must Feel Like

I'm trying to get better about cross-training and active recovery days, so I've recently been finding ways to mix up my workouts. Enter bikram yoga, also called hot yoga. I've heard fab things about it, and saw a news segment one day where various types of yoga classes where being spotlighted.

OK, what is bikram yoga, you ask? It's a class where a series of poses are performed (in my class, we did 26) in a room set to a temperature of 105 degrees with 40% humidity. For 90 minutes. Sounds fun, right? Right.

I made plans to meet up with a friend yesterday morning for class, against my better judgment. The same can be said about most of my athletic endeavors, but that's a diferent story. Got lost on my way to the studio, but I eventually made it there -barely on time, of course...but there nonetheless - and it was what I'd call stuffy in the reception area. There was still time for me to turn around and run back to the Jeep, I hadn't handed over the check card yet...but I hung around regardless. Got myself signed in and headed into the studio.

Oh Em Gee, I don't think I have ever been anywhere that hot in my life. Seriously, not outside in a hot Maryland summer. Nowhere. It was like I was standing on top of some fire...and I was sitting under a vent. Actually, there were so many vents in the room that I think EVERYONE was sitting under a vent. So, this is what Hell must feel like. Hmm. Anyway, class started and there I went. They say that the only real goal for a newbie should be to stay in the room for the entire 90 minute class, and it's advised to take water or rest breaks when necessary. I based my expectations on that, and didn't try to be a rockstar or anything with the poses. You know how it is, do what you can. And for a first time yoga (of any kind) student, that was as good as it was going to get. I have never sweated so much in MY ENTIRE LIFE. From every pore, down my shins....everywhere. Talk about swamp ass. It was full body swamp action. Thank goodness for the towel, wash cloths, G2 and water. I even had to lose the shirt I wore -it was that serious.

The 90 minutes went by (mostly) painlessly, and I did survive staying in the room. Didn't even do too horribly with all the poses. By no means a pretzel, but standing balanced on one foot with sweaty legs crossed is certainly nothing to sneeze at. Felt good to sweat the ickies out and all those stretches were amazing. Guess there is a symbiotic (?) relationship between my running and the hot yoga...distance running makes me mentally tough enough to push past major discomfort, and yoga will make me a stronger runner. Good deal.

Definitely doing it again; gotta take advantage of that introductory offer. The relaxation doesn't hurt either. Just need to turn into a fish for all the water I will need. Good times.

3 comments:

The Murray's said...

LOL too funny! You are a brave woman!

April Plummer said...

LOL Swamp Ass! Love it! I admire you so much - for running and now Yoga. I really need to look into taking some Yoga classes. I think it would help my stress levels, especially the ones that spike b/c of a certain somebody's ex. lol Thanks for the inspiration!

Melanie said...

OH, there is definately a relationship between running and anything that challenges you hpysically and mentally. You have been there and done that! Pushed yourself and trained not only physically but mentally. You need to read 'born To Run' if you haven't already. Excellent read.

Post a Comment